Have you ever wondered how professional touring singers (especially the belters!) look after and maintain their vocal health on tour?
When I think of a singer with a huge voice, it is Tami Neilson who pops into my head.
And if you ask me who the hardest working touring artists in the business are, Tami also springs to mind!
Thanks to NZ Musician Magazine, we sat down to chat about all things vocal health, specifically when touring.
This interview was recorded a few years ago pre-Covid. Now that the world is opening up again, this is the perfect time to review your vocal health in preparation for potential upcoming tours.
In this interview we talk about:
- (01:30) – Creating a Care Routine
- (01:54) – Sleep/Recovery Time
- (02:45) – Touring Formula
- (03:56) – Touring Toolkit
- (04:15) – Humidiflyer
- (06:10) – Trtl Pillow
- (07:04) – Liquorice Tea
- (07:09) – Manuka Honey Lozenges
- (07:25) – Kiwi Herb Throat Spray
- (07:33) – Salt Gargle/Nasal Irrigation
- (09:20) – Vocal Steamer
- (13:25) – Foam Roller/Ball
- (14:25) – Vocal Routine – Sirens, Lip Trills
- (15:25) – Singer Stretches
- (16:30) – Laryngeal and Tongue Root Massage
- (17:15) – Vocal Warm Up
- (17:45) – Hype Songs
- (19:05) – Keeping Up Vocal Care On Tour
- (19:45) – Exercise/Movement
- (20:15) – Singers Are Athletes!
- (21:00) – Nurturing your voice/body
- (21:45) – Hormones/Hydration
- (22:10) – Nutrition
- (22:58) – Timing Eating To Avoid Reflux
Singers Toolkit for Vocal Health On Tour
Here are some of the tools mentioned in the video, plus a few extras that I use.
- Turtl Pillow
- Liquorice Tea – I like the Red Seal Black Adder or Throat Coat Tea brands.
- Comvita Manuka Honey Lozenges
- Kiwi Herb Throat Spray
- Salt Gargle
- Nasal Irrigation
- Vocal Steamer – I use the My Purmist Personal Steamer
- Roller or I use a Shakti Mat
Do you have any touring singers toolkit tips you’d like to share?
Please let me know by commenting below.